Job Advertisement – Country Director, Afghanistan
In countries affected by conflict and war, Women for Women International supports the most marginalized women to earn and save money, improve health and well-being, influence decisions in their home and community, and connect to networks for support. By utilizing skills, knowledge, and resources, she is able to create sustainable change for herself, her family and the community.
Since 1993, Women for Women International has served more than 407,000 women in 8 conflict-affected countries, including Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iraq, Kosovo, Nigeria, Rwanda and South Sudan.
Women for Women International (WfWI) is seeking to hire a Country Director to lead the Afghanistan Country Office. WfWI has worked in Afghanistan since2002 and currently provides social skills, rights training, and economic and business skills to approximately 4,000 women annually. A dynamic funding model includes support from bilateral governments, foundations and unrestricted funds.
The Country Director is the official representative and leader of Women for Women International in Afghanistan. The Country Director shapes the vision and strategy for the Country Office, providing high level oversight over all areas of program implementation and operations. He/she conducts fundraising and advocacy, and cultivates strategic partnerships. He/she leads a staff of 70 people in a main office in Kabul and two sub-offices, and is responsible for an annual budget of $2 million and the safety and security of all WfWI staff and assets.
As the official representative and leader of WfWI – Afghanistan, the successful candidate will have the ability to adeptly represent the organizational and programmatic priorities of the organization to donors and partners while leading strategic thinking and planning. He/she will have demonstrated ability to build the capacity and counsel junior employees as well as manage team members. S/he will need to have a strong commitment to women’s issues, excellent leadership and management skills, the ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally, and operate successfully in unstable and challenging environments.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programmatic Leadership and Development:
- Provide strategic oversight to the design and successful implementation of all programs offered by WfWI including rights and life skills training, cash transfers, and business and vocational skills training.
- Ensure that data collection, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on any aspect of the program is conducted in a timely manner and in line with WfWI and donor policies procedures and grant agreements.
- Identify interventions that require additional monitoring and evaluation, and inspire the program team to analyse program process and impact through surveys, qualitative research, and other mechanisms.
- Work closely with the senior managers on all aspects of programming to ensure efficiency and accountability and to develop innovative programmatic approaches to help marginalized women improve their lives.
- Translate these program ideas into proposals, complete with budgets and log frames, in collaboration with the fundraising team in HQ.
Financial and Human Resource Management:
- Oversee annual planning and budgeting for the country office in collaboration with the local staff and HQ.
- Participate in strategy development for the organization and the country office
- Ensure that country office staffing is maintained at appropriate level and within budget.
- Work closely with the Deputy Country Director to develop and maintain a country officesecurity plan to ensure safety of staff and assets.
- Participate in the recruitment of outstanding talent for the Senior Management Team.
- Mentor staff and ensure that performance appraisal systems are implemented properlyby all managers.
- Ensure effective grant management, budget utilization and fulfilment of annual targets.
- Ensure country office compliance with all organizational policies, procedures andprogram guidelines.
Fundraising and Representation:
- Develop fundraising opportunities and cultivate new donor relationships.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with local and international partners,relevant government agencies and community leaders.
- Lead and represent the organization to external audiences and stakeholders.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of 10 years work experience ideally in the INGO/NGO sector, of which at least 5 years at a Managerial level. Experience living and working in Afghanistan or neighbouring countries preferred.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent post-graduate qualification in relevant field (or 15+ years’ experience in lieu of the advanced degree).
- Excellent leadership and management skills and demonstrated experience of managing teams of 10 or more staff members in a participatory style.
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender issues and proven commitment to addressing gender inequalities in all key areas of responsibility.
- Familiarity with managing budgets, financial reporting and grant writing.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and teambuilding skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time efficiently.
- High level of maturity and cultural sensitivity.
- Knowledge of the political, economic and social context of Afghanistan.
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Email applications.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of Dari or Pashto is anasset.
- Willingness and ability to travel within Afghanistan to program sites and internationallyas required.
All interested candidates should submit an updated CV, cover letter including contact information for three (3) professional references to: www.womenforwomen.org/about- us/careers or to email@example.com (with Country Director in the Subject line).
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis; we are seeking to fill this position as quickly as possible. Only short listed applicants will be invited to interview. No telephone inquiries please.