The Taliban has prevented 200 girls in Mah-e-May and Nusay districts of Badakhshan from taking university entrance exams by threatening to charge them fines, according to the local officials in the province.
The Taliban have so far not made a comment about the claims.
Local officials in the area have said that the Taliban threatened to charge Afs40,000 to any female student trying to take the exam.
Provincial officials have said that efforts are underway to ensure the entry of these girls for the exam.
“We have been deprived of the exam process, we hope that the honorable president helps us,” said a resident of Badakhshan.
“They (the Taliban) deprived us and have warned they would impose fines on the girls if they participated in the exam, each girl has to pay a 40,000 afghani fine if they appeared in the exam,” said a resident of Badakhshan.
On Saturday, a number of residents in Mah-e-Mai district staged a protest and asked the government to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
“Everyone has the right to learn whether they are a girl or a boy, this is the fundamental right of Afghan citizens,” said Kambiz, district governor of Darwaz of Badakshan.
“The girls who have been prevented from taking the exam will go to Shighnan district on Sunday and will appear for the exam there,” said Sanaullah Rouhani, a spokesman for the Badakhshan police.
“This is very unfortunate as we are expecting the peace talks, this indicates that the Taliban do not respect their commitments,” said Farishta Amini, a former MP.
Girls’ education is one of the major achievements that Afghanistan gained in the post-Taliban era.
The Afghan government has constantly said that it will not compromise on the girls’ education in any peace talks with the Taliban.
See original post on TOLO NEWS HERE