Second Annual Conference
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Afghan Diaspora: Aiding Women’s Empowerment and Peace
Date: 05 September 2020 – Location: London, UK
The Afghan Diaspora has been actively engaged in supporting reconstruction and development in Afghanistan through both formal and informal means for decades. The significance of their contribution has been recognized by international organisations, including the United Nations (UN) and the Afghan government.
International conferences in 2013 and 2018 organized by the UN specifically focused on engaging with the Diaspora as a key actor in the future of peace and development in Afghanistan. The challenges facing Afghanistan moving into the next decade are tremendous. Therefore, while the Afghan Diaspora has made an important contribution to support reconstruction and development in Afghanistan in the last few decades, the need and opportunities for engagement remain significant, particularly in the area of women’s empowerment and justice.
The Farkhunda Trust for Afghan Women’s Education Second Annual Conference aims to tackle some of these issues under the theme: The Afghan Diaspora, Women’s Empowerment, and Peace. The one-day conference will take place in London on 05th Sept 2020.
The conference aims to create an international forum where members of the Afghan diaspora, policymakers, civil society, academics and others can discuss the challenges, the opportunities and the potential innovations in the area of Diaspora’s role in the women’s empowerment, and socio-economic development process in Afghanistan in order to secure peace.
Call for Papers
We are currently accepting proposals for panels or papers from researchers with an interest in Gender and Afghan Diaspora. We encourage paper proposals from a wide variety of institutions. In addition to academics, and postgraduate students we also welcome papers from civil society activists, policymakers, writers, artists, performers, and archivists.
Individual applicants can submit stand-alone paper abstracts or a group of two or three applicants can propose a panel. In the case of a panel, the proposal should only include two or three abstracts (one from each member of the panel) under common theme.
We encourage the submission of abstracts on any of the following topics.
- The Diaspora: Family, Migration and Culture
- Women in the Diaspora
- Women and Higher Education
- Gender and Religious Education
- The Role of Men in Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Health, Education and Women’s Empowerment
- Women and Economic Empowerment
- Rural and Urban Divides and Gender in Afghanistan
- Women, Labour and Markets
- Political Economy, Gender, Work and Organization
- Gender, Peace and Security in Afghanistan
- Afghan Diaspora Experiences – Home and Away
- The Diaspora and Post-Conflict Reconstruction
- Single Paper proposals should be no more than 300 words maximum.
- Panel proposals should be no more than 600 words
- Submissions should include an indicative title for the paper or panel, the name and affiliation of the applicant, and contact details.
- The deadline for submission of paper abstracts or panel proposals is 01March 2020
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance by 15 April 2020.
- Applicants wanting to submit a paper/piece for publication in the conference proceeding must submit their papers by 01 July 2020.
- Presentation at the Conference by 05th September 2020
We encourage submissions from international, UK-based and Afghanistan-based applicants, however, funding for travel or assistance is not available. The conference is coordination with Afghan Professional Network- APN, Afghan Voice Radio, British Afghan Coordination Council BACC, Afghan Women Collation UK, Afghanistan Now, EU Women’s